The B-26 Marauder Historical Society (B-26 MHS) is the largest organization dedicated to preserving the memory of the B-26 Martin Marauder, the nearly 300,000 service personnel who were associated with the aircraft during World War II, and their joint contributions to the greatest military victories in human history.
The world’s premier medium range bomber served in every WWII theater of operation and was also employed in post-war civilian operations. Society members hail from all over the world and represent all of the wartime Allied powers and many other nations. Authentic archival materials relating to the Marauder can be located at the Pima Air and Space Museum, which houses the B-26 Marauder archival materials and other related collections.
It is a little-known fact that the Martin B-26 Marauder was employed not only by the United States Army Air Forces, but also by the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps, British Royal Air Force, South African Air Force, and Free French Air Force. The Royal Australian Air Force also played an instrumental supporting role during the early days of WWII.
Project Origins and Early Development:
In January of 1939, the United States Army Air Corps issued a specification (Circular Proposal 39-640) for a twin-engine medium bomber. Requests for proposals were widely circulated throughout the industry and responding companies included Martin, Douglas, Stearman, and North American. The proposal of the Glenn L. Martin Company of Middle River, Maryland (near Baltimore) was assigned the company designation of Model 179. Martin assigned a 26-year-old aeronautical engineer named Peyton M. Magruder as Project Engineer for the Model 179.
Click on a file to download more about the B26, its history and creators.
Executive Director: Phil Gutt, CAE